It’s been a full week of alpha testing and fixes, so it’s time for me to call it done and move onto work for the Alpha 2. This next version will include all of the races and various interactions with them, as well as a lot of new artwork. Of course, other changes will sneak in as time permits.
Here’s the final change list from the original alpha released late last week:
Alpha 1 issues fixed
Critical – Game Crashes
1. Game gets progressively more sluggish over time, then crashes. Fixed.
2. Game freezing when learning a technology: fixed
3. game suddenly freezing: fixed.
1. Initial designs were using randomized names: proper names are now assigned to initial ships
2. Initial Destroyer design not being created: fixed
3. able to decrement research categories already at 0: fixed
4. No habitable planet in starting range: players will now start with at least 2 systems within colony ship range; only 1 is guaranteed to be habitable. Send scouts first!
5. incorrect distance reported when fleet is attempting to travel to out of range
6. extended ship ranged seems to be doubled the normal range, not +3: fixed
1. Colony display getting stuck on planet view: fixed
2. Could hover over and see flight paths that were hidden: fixed
3. Labels flickering on Setup screen when mousing over them: fixed
4. Sounds not playing on Linux: fixed, pending confirmation from Linux tester
5. Fleet deployment not recalculating range properly when adjusting fleets: fixed
6. bug: Galaxy snaps when zooming out
1. Clicking issues on upscaled displays: Game now auto-sizes to match display resolution
2. Flags are too shiny: replaced with configurable animated flags
3. Button should give visual indication when pressed: fixed.
4. Need better indication of available design slot: now displays “Available” in empty slots
5. Set limit on maximum zoom in: zooming in stops at about a 4 parsec range
6. Increased size of selection box for ship fleets on map: fixed
7. Colonization prompt answers should be YES/NO, not NO/YES: changed
8. Stardate hard to see on map: brightened and now with a subtle shadow
9. Slider titles should change color when hovering to give indication they can be clicked: they now highlight when hovered.
10. blue ships hard to see on map: the blue color for ships has been lightened noticeably.
11. zooming is choppy: sped up zooming.
12. need hovering feedback at mouse cursor – when hovering over a system, fleet or transport on the galaxy map, a thinner version of the select box will appear over the item as the preview is being displayed
Issues deferred until later release
1. No visual indication of zoom level: out of time… scheduled for alpha 2
2. Planet rotations need to be smoother on colony/scout screens: visual performance issues to be addressed when higher-resolution images are added
3. When scouting planets, no indication of planet location on map: will try to address as screen is updated with new images
4. No ship landing animation when colonizing: needs new artwork; planned by beta
5. Retro fonts can be difficult to read: will look for a clearer, but similar, font
Issues not being worked
1. Game will not start: Java 8 is required. Per Oracle, the oldest supported Windows OS is Vista.
2. Clouds need to rotate faster than planets: no plans to support. This optical illusion does not occur when viewing planets from space!
3. Silicoid aspect ratio not the same: these are placeholder graphics from the original game and will be replaced by beta