In the original Master of Orion, your diplomatic status with various races was generally reduced to 3 items: your treaty status (none/war/peace/pact/alliance), your trade level, and your relations level.
The last item was what controlled the AI’s willingness to deal with you or declare war on you. Because it was a single number, it was fairly trivial to manipulate once you understood what affected it. You could literally be driving two warring races to extinction, but they would be happy with you because you were at least killing the other guy as well.
With 20 years of hardware advances and hindsight, it’s a safe bet that Java MOO will not be internally implementing the diplomacy AI in the same way.
Diplomatic events will be quantified and tracked independently so that a more responsive AI can be coded. Each event will make a positive or negative impact to the relationship which will fade over time, but a time that is variable based on the severity of the event. Some events will not bother certain races very much at all, while others will more seriously aggravate others. It is up to the players to understand what motivates each AI race and then make moves necessary to achieve his diplomatic goals.
Here’s a listing of the diplomatic events that will be evaluated:
Direct military interactions:
- Trespassing – ships in orbit around colonies
- Skirmishes – ship battles around colonies or neutral systems
- Attacks – direct attacks on colonies
- Biological Attacks – same, but with biological weapons
- Invasions – troop invasions of colonies
- Captures – troop captures of colonies
- Destruction – destruction of colonies
- Establish Treaty
- Break Treaty
- Declare War
- Offered Tribute
- Demanded Tribute
- Traded Technology
- Vote For/Against/Abstain for Galactic Council
- Espionage: Steal Technologies
- Sabotage: destroy factories
- Sabotage: destroy missile bases
- Sabotage: inciting rebellion
- Local Expansion – founding a colony in ship range
- Military Buildup – amassing ships within ship range
- Biological Weapons – general use of these weapons
- Galactic Expansion – becoming dominant in galaxy
- Attacked Ally
- Attacked Enemy
These are all of the events currently planned for support. Each will have a separate defined weight (how serious is the event) and rate of decay (how long will it be remember).
In addition, these could be affected by leader personalities and objectives.