Originally, the next alpha was going to include ship combat, 2-3 more races and some other additional artwork. Unfortunately, all of the artwork for that would place the alpha at sometime in the fall of 2017, which seemed too far away.
I realize that this project is going to take a long time to finish because it is basically being pipelined through a handful of people (developer, artist & writer), each working on separate tasks.
However, there is a tremendous amount of value in public alphas with respect to user feedback so I don’t want to go too long between them. As a result, I think I am going to break the next alpha into two, smaller alphas. So, the current plan for the next alpha is below. I’m hoping this can all be done about 4-6 months sooner, by March of 2017.
Definitely in (things to be done sooner rather than later):
- New Races: Sakkra (complete), Darloks (art time: 3 months?)
- New race-specific artwork: Transport Ships (in work, art time: 1 month?), combat animations for hostile environments (complete), GNN (art time: 3 months?)
- UI work: new Descriptive race intro at startup, new Rankings UI, polish on Fleet & Ground Combat UIs, Help overlay on main map UI
- Diplomatic Options: request ally to join war, require empire to break alliance with their ally
Possibly In (because of low artwork requirements):
- Random events not involving ship combat (space crystal, amoeba)
- Counter-offers for diplomatic requests
Definitely deferred until later (will take too long for a timely alpha):
- Final 3 races: Human, Klackon, Mrrshan
- Tactical Ship Combat
- Orion system
- Technology discovery holograms
- Race-specific artwork for sabotage options
- Game Over animation sequences